In my very first post on this blog, “Meet Meat: The Key to a Healthy Body,” I mentioned that Italians are super humans. Why? Well, in sum, they essentially subsist on an all-carb diet and gelato and rarely (if ever) exercise, yet they do not struggle with obesity on a national scale.
Well, I have discovered part of their secret: espresso. Espresso is a low-calorie drink that, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database, contains roughly 64mg of caffeine per one fluid ounce.
You will notice that most Italians drink a shot of espresso after most meals, and espresso promotes weight-loss in addition to containing a MULTITUDE of other health benefits.
Take a deep breath- here we go…
- The high caffeine content in espresso temporarily curbs hunger.
- According to the journal “Nestle Nutrition Institute Workshop Series” (2013), consuming moderate amounts of caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and boosts energy levels.
- The journal “Obesity” (2013) reports that consuming moderate amounts of caffeine reduces total calorie intake.
- Espresso increases thermogenesis, meaning it increases your body’s heat production and burns approximately 80 extra calories per day.
- Espresso contains many antioxidants – even more than acai, actually! In fact, a study conducted by the National Institute of Health demonstrated that those who drink at least four cups of coffee per day are 10% less likely to be depressed due to the high antioxidant content. A study conducted by the American Chemical Society also showed that drinking the same amount of caffeine reduces a person’s chances of developing Type 2 Diabetes by a whole 50%.
- According to the ScienceDaily (2012), consuming moderate amounts of caffeine helps to prevent Parkinson’s disease.
- For those of you who have chosen to really embrace the wine-centric Italian culture… Caffeine helps to protect against alcoholic cirrhosis, which is an autoimmune disease caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
- TIME reporter, Michael Lemonick, says, “When you’re sleep-deprived and you take caffeine, pretty much anything you measure will improve: reaction time, vigilance, attention, logical reasoning — most of the complex functions you associate with intelligence.”
The moral of the story? Keep drinking coffee!! It does wonders.
I will continue to investigate the secrets of the Italian super humans.
Until next time.
Over and out.